Wednesday, August 12, 2009

From Chemist to Baker


GraceFace is my college nickname (though I'm not quite certain which of my friends came up with it)... In any case, all my friends know me to have a major sweet tooth; I am a firm believer that there is ALWAYS room for dessert ;) and I have not been shy to reveal the number of root canals I have survived over the years (3).
And so it is natural that started learning how to bake my favorite sweet treats once I had my own kitchen to experiment. By day I was working in the chemistry lab trying to make new drugs (legit one I assure you) and by night, I was baking cookies and tarts and cakes (oh my!). I brought so many baked goods to work that my co-workers called me "Betty Crocker" (I think that was a compliment!)
And so after almost 7 years of being a chemist, I am finally going to transition myself to baking, which is surprisingly not so different from what I learned in college. While I dream about professional pastry school, I'm going to practice making fancy sweet treats on my own. My source of inspiration comes from a lovely bakery here in San Francisco called Tartine. Though I've only eaten there once, the beauty of the pastries in their book is inspiring and this is where I will begin my baking journey!

3 comments:

  1. You're transitioning to baking? That's so cool! It's chemistry that tastes really good.
    Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neato Graceful! Or should I say....Quaker the baker!

    ReplyDelete